History of the Initiative
Since 2008, Strathcona High School has united annually to turn our motto “as one who serves” into reality. By engaging in multiple local service projects and massive global initiatives, Strathcona students have had a chance to learn about servant leadership, entrepreneurship, global citizenship, and social affairs. Students in the Leadership Program work behind the scenes to plan and organize each initiative, but it's the mass participation of all school departments, clubs, teams and community allies that have made our past campaigns successful. Below is a brief overview of our previous campaigns:
Hope in motion campaign (2017)
- Our most recent campaign worked with the Jack Davis Hope Foundation, a local Edmonton charity that helps families in the care of their ill children. Support can range from bus passes to medical equipment not covered by insurance. Over $466 000 was raised to support families in need. See last year's website to learn more.
THE BIKE2BOX CAMPAIGN (2016)
This campaign partnered with Shelterbox, a disaster relief organization which provides boxes filled with a tent, blankets, tools, water purification kit, and much more to help families rebuild after a natural disaster. More than $449 000 was raised to help families world wide.
THE TREEHOUSE PROJECT (2015)
- Working with two organizations, the Bissell Centre as well as Change for Children to make an impact both locally and globally. $352 000 was raised for both charities which allowed the Bissell Centre to run their Housing Option Program (H.O.P) and for Change for Children to build an eco lodge in Ecuador.
CHAIN REACTION (2014)
- $180 000 was raised in partnership with World Bicycle Relief to buy bicycles for people in Africa and Asia. The bicycles allowed for increased access to education, medical care and entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Working with WaterCan, the Canadian Development Agency turned the initial amount of $50 000 into $125 000 to build four wells and sanitation projects in four Ethiopian communities.
LIVE LOVE LEND (2012)
- $56 000 was raised for kiva.org, a microfinancing website that empowers entrepreneurs in developing nations. This money was re-loaned multiple times to create at a total of $248 550 as of November 2014.
NOT FOR SALE (2011)
- Shone light on the dark issue of human trafficking by raising awareness and lobbying the Canadian government to create tougher anti-human trafficking laws. $36 000 for notforsale.org.
PLAY IT FORWARD (2010)
- $54 500 helped support programs that use play as a tool to promote education and health in developing countries through a partnership with Right to Play.
SPREAD THE WORD (2009)
- $30 000 helped give the gift of literacy to children by building a school at an HIV orphanage in Bumala, Kenya.
TAKE A SPIN FOR CHELSEA (2008)
- Was a fundraiser and spirit raiser for Chelsea, a student who suffered a horrific car accident that caused her to lose function in her legs, and become a paraplegic. The school raised $27 000 to help with wheelchair accessibility at home and at school.